I Am a Teacher.
Of course, I want my students to become master craftsmen in the arts of reading, writing, and mathematics. I will bust-my-bottom every single day so that each of them are successful.
But the things important to me, for each and every student in my circle-of-influence to learn this year are…
the same skills that we all started learning in kindergarten.
- Share everything.
- Play fair.
- Don’t hit people.
- Put things back where you found them.
- Clean up your own mess.
- Don’t take things that aren’t yours.
- Say you’re SORRY when you HURT somebody.
- When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
- Live a balanced life – learn some and draw some and paint some and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
- If the dream is held close to the heart, and imagination is applied to what there is close at hand. Everything is still possible.
― Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten
If my students begin to comprehend the world a little clearer because of the mastery of the art that I love, and I- in some small way- can continue to allow these ten truths to become planted a little deeper into their lives, then I will be allowed to boldly proclaim… “This Year, I Am a Teacher.”
ABC Character Profiles
Gravestones and Eulogies
- Communing with Literary Agents and Movie Moguls
- Free Verse
- Shape Poem
- Animal Research PowerPoints
- Biographical Research
- Topic Research
- Impromptu Speeches
- Reporting On-the-Scene
- Expository Essays
- Fables and Myths (The Hero)
- Flash Fiction
- Narrative Short Stories Stories
- News Articles
- Persuasive Essays
- Typing Practice Tutorials
Tradebook Study Guides
Study Guides will soon be available for referencing for these books for your reading pleasure. Each guide will have several enrichment activities. One activity is expected of you each nine-week grading period.
- Among the Hidden: Margaret Peterson Haddix
- The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker: Cynthia DeFelice
- The Barn: Avi
- Bearstone: Will Hobbs
- Bud, Not Buddy: Christopher Paul Curtis
- The Castle in the Attic: Elizabeth Winthrop
- The Cay: Theodore Taylor
- Crash: Jerry Spinelli
- Crispin: Avi
- The Fear Place: Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
- Freak the Mighty: Rodman Philbrick
- Hope Was Here: Joan Bauer
- The Island: Gary Paulsen
- Night Journey: Avi
- Number the Stars: Lois Lowry.
- Poppy: Avi
- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: Mildred D. Taylor
- Sounder: William H. Armstrong
- The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle: Avi
- Walk Two Moons: Sharon Creech
- War with Grandpa: Robert Kimmel Smith
- Weasel: Cynthia DeFelice
- The Witch of Blackbird Pond: Elizabeth George Speare
- White Water: Paul Horgan
- Woodsong: Gary Paulsen
- A Wrinkle in Time: Madeleine L’Engle
Written for The Daily Post: The Art and Craft of Blogging: Learning